The Office of Jonathan Wilkinson, Member of Parliament for North Vancouver, is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the full-time role of Special Assistant. While all interested individuals will be considered, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Reporting to the Legislative Assistant, the Special Assistant supports the administration and daily operations of the Member’s Parliamentary Office in Ottawa. This covers a wide range of responsibilities, including and especially schedule coordination, travel and expense management, general logistics, and constituent correspondence.
Specific duties and responsibilities are anticipated as follows:
Administration & Scheduling
- Serves as first point of contact for visitors to the Parliament Hill office, welcoming guests, coordinating with security, carrying out reception duties and handling daily office operations
- Manages the MP’s schedule in collaboration with the Constituency and Legislative Assistant
- Maintains office records and filing systems
- Assists with data entry and management of the constituency database
- Manages the MP’s expense claims
- Participate in drafting and editing of material for various speaking engagements in collaboration with the Legislative Assistant, Constituency staff and Ministerial staff as needed
- Posts updates and photos of events and member appearances to social media channels
- Manages policy-related communications (writing and distribution), including Householders, in collaboration with the team
- Assists with preparation of periodic riding communications (e.g. Newsletters) in collaboration with the team
- Responds to queries from members of the public by phone or email, taking appropriate action to resolve, documents and escalates the concerns or enquiries
- Manages all phone, email and letter correspondence (triages email with local correspondence being allocated to the Constituent Assistant)
- Attends meetings and events with the MP, or on his behalf, as necessary
- Undertakes research and brief preparation in co-ordination with the Legislative Assistant
- Develops relationships with Ministerial and PMO office staff
Required Skills and Qualities
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong communication skills: written, social media, interpersonal
- Critical thinking, attention to detail, and problem solving
- Experience in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Keen desire to be a team player
- Must demonstrate superior judgement and possess a high standard of professional conduct
- Self-motivated and willing to learn and take initiative
- Bilingual (French/English)
- Knowledge of key policy issues, especially those concerning the environment and climate change
- Knowledge of the Canadian Parliamentary System
LOCATION OF WORK: 09 Justice Building, 249 Wellington St., Ottawa ON
HOURS OF WORK: Full-time hours, on the understanding that the role regularly requires long and unpredictable hours, including on weekends.
START DATE: Monday September 11th, 2017
Interested individuals should submit a CV and cover letter to jonathan.wilkinson.A1@parl.gc.ca by Friday, September 1st at 9:00pm Eastern Standard Time. Please use subject line “Special Assistant”.
Select individuals will be contacted for interviews. Final candidates will be asked to participate in a writing exercise.