As the Member of Parliament for North Vancouver, I wish to express my sincere condolences on this, the occasion of the 40th day following the downing of Flight 752, and the tragic passing of a number of beloved North Vancouver residents.
I am glad that the community feels supported and comforted by the response and assistance Canada has offered.
Health Canada has put in place a free and confidential 24/7 Crisis and Counselling Support Line for the many families experiencing grief and loss as a result of this tragedy:
- By calling, family members in Canada can request support from a mental health professional, or receive referrals to resources in their community.
- This Support Line is also available to close friends of victims as well as any impacted community organizations based in Canada.
- There is no cost to callers for these support services. The Counselling Support Line can be reached 24/7 at 1-877-891-5305.
Canada as a nation is grieving, and it is clear that Canadians want to show their support for the victims’ families. On January 22, 2020, the Government of Canada announced it will match donations to the Canada Strong campaign, up to $1.5 million dollars, until February 21, 2020.
- This fund was developed to support families of the victims as they navigate through the long-term impacts of these tragic losses. Over the coming days and weeks, Public Safety Canada will continue to work with the Canada Strong Campaign and its partners to refine details of this fund matching program, and to determine how these funds can best support families.
Know that I, and our country, continue to seek answers and to provide support where it is needed:
- Canada is offering technical assistance and expertise to Ukraine officials in the areas of aircraft design, maintenance and flight operations to assist.
- Canada is working with allies to ensure thorough and credible investigations to uncover the causes of this terrible tragedy and to bring closure, transparency, accountability and justice to Canadians.
- Canada and the other members of the International Coordination and Response Group for the victims of Flight PS752 have called for accountability for those responsible for the tragedy through an independent criminal investigation followed by transparent and impartial judicial proceedings which conform to international standards of due process and human rights.
As you mark the 40th day, I want to say especially to family, friends, neighbours and my community, tasliat arz mikonam. Inshâllah tu shâdi-hâ bebinimet. Gham-e âkharet bâshe.