Jonathan Wilkinson

Your member of parliament for

North Vancouver

Jonathan Wilkinson

Your member of parliament for

North Vancouver


COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions

Hello all, My constituency office and I are responding to thousands of calls and emails on matters related to COVID-19. We want to be as helpful as we can through all of this. However, we are asking you to help us triage by first reviewing these resources on the most commonly raised issues. ⤵️

→ For the latest public health information:

Federal updates:

Provincial updates:

→ If you believe you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, take the online self-assessment first before calling 811.

Federal self-assessment:

Provincial self-assessment:

→ Employment Insurance and support for workers:

General overview of EI:

If you’ve been laid off and qualify for EI, apply online for regular benefits:…/services/benefits/ei/ei-regular-ben…

If you’re unable to work because of illness, including COVID-19, apply online for EI Sickness Benefits:…/servic…/benefits/ei/ei-sickness.html

If you do not qualify for EI (e.g., if you are self-employed, not enough hours, etc.), we are in the process of implementing the new Emergency Response Benefit:

→ Support for business:

For information on the Government of Canada’s efforts to support Canadian businesses through COVID-19, please visit:

→ If you are a Canadian manufacturer or business that can assist Canada in meeting the need for medical supplies, please visit:…/maintaing…/manufacturers-needed.html

→ Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) & taxes:

The deadline for filing your 2019 tax return has been extended to June 1, 2020.

If you have a previous debt with CRA which they have recovered from your tax return which causes you financial hardship, you need to speak with a collections officer. They can be reached at 1-800-675-6184 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

If you are prevented from making a payment when due, filing a return on time, or otherwise complying with a tax obligation because of circumstances beyond your control, you can submit a request to cancel penalties and interest. Here is the form:…/forms-publicatio…/forms/rc4288.html…

→ Canadians abroad

If you are a Canadian stranded abroad, you need to be in touch with Global Affairs Canada:
+1 613 996 8885 (call collect where available)

For information on financial help for Canadians outside Canada, please visit:…/financial-a…/covid-19-financial-help…


These are the issues most commonly raised in the emails that we have received, but certainly not exhaustive. If you cannot find the answer to your question in the above resources, please contact my office and we will get you the answer as quickly as we can:


We will continue to support businesses, workers and their families – and I will keep you updated as more measures are introduced.

Thanks again, and stay well.

–Jonathan Wilkinson